Monday, November 9, 2009

Evolution of the Birthday Cake

I am one of those mom's that, while I hate to admit it, judges other mom's for not making their children's birthday cakes. What kind of parent BUYS a cake from the local grocer?? It's negligence. The worst part of this is that I HATE decorating cakes. It is pure torture. I put myself through the ringer emotionally for not living up to these standards. Below are all of Ruby's underwhelming birthday cakes. However, this year, I think I finally did it, I think I came closer to the unrealistic standards I have set for myself.

First Birthday- I wouldn't eat this cake. It just doesn't look very tasty. And, if I remember right, there were a LOT of leftovers!

Second Birthday- Just coming out of my morning sickness coma, I was very proud of this underwhelming cake. I like it a lot more now, but at the time I just kept patting myself on the back for getting a cake on the table.

Third Birthday- too lazy to even make the frosting, at least she had a good time blowing out the candles!

Fourth birthday- SUCCESS!! I am pretty proud of this cake. Sure, I wanted to put more details on it, but ran out of time. This cake, despite its simplicity and imperfection, is my crowning glory. What do I do next year? Can I safely order from the bakery now??

9 comments:

  1. I'm impressed and as far as I'm concerned you can go the bakery route from now on. I've never bought a cake either, but I just make cupcakes...no power ranger/monster truck/disney characters cakes in this household...so far anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake is AMAZING! Good work Sina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously love the cake! Wow, talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!!Do you think my boys will go for it? I'm always stuck making snakes, Curious George, or Cars cakes. Girls are much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your recent is pretty genius! xo,Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! It looks much better than the similar one I did for my girl on her 4th... (or was it her 3rd?) yikes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cake is awesome! You could sell that in a store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My birthday is coming up. I will take #4 too:)

    ReplyDelete