Monday, October 12, 2009

Kandy

In August, we drove up to Kandy for an overnight trip to watch the annual Esala Perahera. The Esala Perahera is a festival celebrating the Sacred Relic of the Tooth. Buddah's tooth, to be precise. Originally, the tooth was private property of the Kandyan kings, but finally, a benevolent king saw it only proper to allow the masses one opportunity each year to worship the sacred relic. That opportunity became what is now a two to three hour long procession, filled with elephants (so very many elephants), kandyan dancers (they are actually much cooler to watch dancing in the streets than we first saw them on stage), whip dancers, fire dancers, and those dancers who place hooks in their backs-- and many, many more. Although the perahera is a Buddhist festival, there are numerous hindu undertones throughout, making this perahera uniquely Sri Lankan.

My pictures are proof that I need to take photography lessons and get an SLR, but when the subject matter is this full of life and vibrant colors, you can't help but capture a couple that show it, if even just a little.

Bring on the elephants, there were over 100 in the parade. After a while, I realized I didn't need to capture each one:




3 comments:

  1. You make our lives seem so dreary. Lucky you!!!Does Anais have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at your blog--it's so fascinating. I'm glad you're making the most of all these adventures. One day, maybe (he he), you'll have a boring life like the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete