So one picture you'll almost always see if you happen to be looking at pictures from Sri Lanka, is of the pole fishermen. No, not fishing poles, pole fishermen. Why this has developed in Sri Lanka and apparently nowhere else I'll never understand, because it's a pretty simple idea. What's not necessarily simple is getting us out of bed in time to see them in the morning. It took a couple days of trying, and in the end I think we just got lucky with one guy who had nothing else to do that day. He was more than obliging for a photo shoot, especially after I gave him a dollar's worth of rupees. I figure it's like a donation to cultural heritage, on a very direct basis.


Ruby still loves, loves, loves riding horses. We stopped by a playground that was built by USAID after the Tsunami, and they had a pony to ride. Gavin wasn't so sure about it, he might need a better cowboy hat before he does any more riding.

But Ruby was of course still right at home.
If we knew how to do the pole trick we would never need a boat here for salmon fishing. I love the pict of Gavin on the horse
ReplyDelete